The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 110 – December 26, 2018 – Seed Catalogs You Should Have On Your Coffee Table.
How can you get and stay excited about your springtime garden when you are struggling through the long winter months. One way I have found is by surrounding myself with seed catalogs to keep the dream alive. Here are a few you should probably have sitting around.
Had a great Christmas with the family and I hope you did as well!
Wanted to tell you about a free course I put together for aspiring and beginner homesteaders. Sign Up at https://smalltownhomestead.com/starthomesteading
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well bok choy is doing in the winter greenhouse.
New Discount Partner for members of The Homestead Forum Membership Community
New Society Publishers has been publishing books to build a new society for over 30 years. They are an activist, solutions-oriented publisher focused on bringing you tools for a world of change. Their mission is to publish books that contribute in fundamental ways to building an ecologically sustainable and just society, and to do so with the least possible impact on the environment, in a manner that models this vision.
Seed Catalogs You Should Have On Your Coffee Table
As I’m writing this it’s 27 degrees and looks like it could start snowing anytime, I’m sitting here drinking coffee and longing for the days coming when I will be out in the garden with sweat on my brow and dirt under my finger nails.
There is a way in which I maintain my sanity while I’m waiting and that way is seed catalogs. I love the days when a new one comes in the mail, the colorful pictures, the thoughts of growing something new, the page after page of vegetable description that causes my mind to dream of a bountiful harvest. Yes, every homesteader should get to experience this wonderful feeling of euphoria!
Maybe I’m being a little over dramatic, seriously though, seed catalogs are great to have as you think about and plan your garden. There are a few great companies out there that send beautiful and information packed catalogs right to your door. So I thought I would give a list of links to get you started with the experience.
1. Johnny’s Selected Seeds – I think probably the best one. It’s full of great pictures and they have a ton of seeds to pick from. Even if you don’t get the catalog there website is great and packed with all kinds of gardening information.
Get Your Johnny's Seed Catalog Here- https://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog-request/
2. Seed Savers Exchange – The 100+ page free catalog has over 600 heirloom and open-pollinated varieties and a large selection of organic seeds. Not only does this catalog have beautiful images and stories, it also contains great educational material.
Get Your Seed Savers Exchange Catalog Here- https://www.seedsavers.org/catalog
3. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds – They have 2 catalogs one is free and one they sell. The free one is their rare seeds free color catalog which is a beautiful offering rare, non-GMO seeds. Complete with hundreds of high-quality color photos showcasing the variety and beauty of heirloom vegetables, fruit, flowers and herbs.
Get The Free Baker Creek Rare Seeds Catalog Here- https://www.rareseeds.com/request-catalogus/
Get The (Not Free) Baker Creek Whole Seed Catalog Here- https://www.rareseeds.com/2019-whole-seed-catalog-usa-canada-and-mexico-/
4. Gurney’s Seed and Nursery – Not only do you get a beautiful free catalog from Gurneys but at the time of this post when you order the catalog you also get a $25 off coupon. That sounds like a Win Win to me!
Get Your Gurney's Seed and Nursery Catalog Here- https://www.gurneys.com/catalog_request
5. Burpee Seeds and Plants – They have a catalog and it’s free. I’m sure every gardener has heard of Burpee and knows about there huge selection. So if you don’t already get the catalog and at the time of posting this they are offering $10 OFF your next purchase when you sign up for the free catalog.
Get Your Burpee Catalog Here - https://www.burpee.com/catalogrequest
6. High Mowing Organic Seeds - As there name implies, they put a heavy emphasis on organic so it is a seed company you can trust. Definitely a catalog you should be getting.
Get Your High Mowing Organic Seeds Catalog Here - https://www.highmowingseeds.com/
7. Territorial Seed Company - This is a family owned business that's been around since 1979 with a nice inventory and a great catalog. If you're anything like me it should give you hours of quality day dreaming material.
Get Your Territorial Seed Company Catalog Here - http://www.territorialseed.com/catalog_request
8. Urban Farmer - This is one I just recently discovered and I'm a little excited about it because it's located less than