Mozilla released Firefox 60, on May 9, 2018, which is a major browser release for the ESR (or Extended Support Release) channel. Firefox ESR doesn’t receive the same browser updates, as the Rapid Release version. Generally Firefox ESR receives most of the major features in one big upgrade per year. That being said, both Rapid Release and the ESR versions receive critical security updates as soon as deemed necessary.
With this new version IT professionals can now configure Firefox, for their organization, either using Group Policy on Windows (or a JSON file for Mac, Linux, and Windows operating system. You can read more about, Firefox Quantum for Enterprise in Ryan Pollock’s blog post (see link below).
Firefox 60 ships with a WEB AUTHENTICATION API enabled, by default, thereby deploying two-factor authentication, and providing, an extra layer of security. This new Web Authentication allows Firefox users to use security devices, like the YubiKey to securely, log into their online accounts. You can learn more about YubiKey and buy it at Amazon (see link below).
The New Tab Experience which was first introduced in Firefox Quantum has been enhanced. When you open a New Tab, you’ll notice a wider layout for TOP SITES. You will also notice more TOP SITES icons or tiles. Firefox users in the US may now occasionally see sponsored stories within Pocket’s recommendation section. Users have the option to disable it under New Tab Preferences. Mozilla says that it’s part of their focus to deliver personalization without sacrificing user privacy. You can read more about it in this blog post (see link below).
The Cookies & Site Storage section (under Preferences) in the Privacy & Security section has been redesigned. Mozilla has consolidated, the two sections into one called COOKIES & SITE DATA. They have also removed the Show Cookies button.
Quantum CSS (previously known as Stylo) which is the new CSS engine, makes its way to Firefox 60, in Android. Stylo was already released in the Desktop version in Firefox 57. This is expected to, significantly improve, page-rendering-time.
These were some of the key changes in Firefox 60. You can check the full list of detailed changes in the RELEASE NOTES (see link below). As always, I ran the Browsermark Benchmark test. From the results, Firefox 60 and Google Chrome 66 were not too far apart, in overall performance.
- Firefox Quantum Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYT473axrM4
- Firefox Download Page: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
- Firefox 60 Release Notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/60.0/releasenotes/
- Firefox Extended Support Release: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
- How to Use Firefox Screenshots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpdKx6Tw-xE
- Buy YubiKey 4 at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2wqPivT
- Firefox Quantum: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/
- Inside Quantum CSS Engine: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/08/inside-a-super-fast-css-engine-quantum-css-aka-stylo/
- Sponsored Content & Privacy: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/04/30/a-privacy-conscious-approach-to-sponsored-content/
- Firefox Open for Business by Ryan Pollock: https://medium.com/mozilla-tech/open-for-business-firefox-quantum-is-ready-for-it-622c74fe13fe
CREDITS: Browser Benchmark Tests Performed Using Browsermark from Basemark: http://web.basemark.com/ | Firefox information and logos used under Creative Commons License Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) | Microsoft, Windows, and the Windows logo are trademarks, or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries | Google and the Google logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc., used with permission | Images and graphics used are public domain via Pixabay unless otherwise mentioned | Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Song Title: Universal by Vibe Tracks
Source: YouTube Music Library (Permission to use for commercial purposes on YouTube monetized videos)
AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER: If you use the link above to purchase the product. I may earn a commission as an Amazon affiliate. This recommendation and review is based on my firsthand experience researching or using this product myself.