Learn all about Men's Undershirts. in this ultimate guide to Undershirts for men.
- Up until the 19th century, you will never see an undershirt in public.
- The dress shirt we call today used to be undershirt back then.
- The purpose of underwear was to protect your outer garments from sweat.
- Fabric was really expensive; undershirts were only something a noble man could afford whereas regular blue collar workers were happy to just have a single layer of fabric which was not an undershirt.
Today, the undershirt is used for three main reasons:
2. To protect your dress shirts from deodorant stains.
3. To simply keep moisture away from your body.
- As a side note, in 1934, Clark Gable appeared in the movie "It happened one night". When he actually took his dress shirt off, people could see that he was not wearing an undershirt and many thought that was revolutionary and legend has it that undershirt sales dropped by 75% thereafter.
- It took until World War II until men rediscovered the undershirt but in fact during World War II, the G.Is and soldiers actually wore just the undershirt like a t-shirt which is what evolved from this particular way of wearing the undershirt.
UNDERSHIRT PROS AND CONS
1. If you sweat profusely, definitely always wear an undershirt because it just creates another layer to keep the moisture in your body and nothing looks worse than you standing there with a jacket with huge sweat stains in your armpits.
2. When wearing stiff, rounded evening shirts with white tie or black tie. If you don't wear an undershirt, you can get nipple chaffing
3. If you're often cold in the winter, the undershirt really helps to insulate you and therefore, you should always wear one.
4. If you easily overheat, you should probably skip it.
5. If you have a lot of chest hair, an undershirt helps you to not show them in public and also when yoy wear a thinner shirt fabric, your chest hair can sometimes poke through and an undershirt will definitely help you stop that.
- In terms of comfort, not having an additional undershirt may be more comfortable and less constricting because you simply have one layer of cloth and not two.
- If your dress shirt is made from a very lightweight fabric, you actually are more likely to see the undershirt underneath of your dress shirt which is bad.
UNDERSHIRT Dos AND DONTs:
- Wear un undershirt and not a t-shirt.
- An undershirt is much thinner and it fits tightly. Key points, lightweight, flexible and close fitting.
- Do not wear white or black t-shirts or undershirts, this may come as a surprise but white and black are actually too strong so they are actually visible underneath your dress shirt.
- If you have dark skin, wear darker colors maybe even black. Don't wear a white undershirt. If you have very light skin, try to get something that really fits that skin tone but when in doubt grey is always better than black or white.
TIP: An old trick to make skin colored shirts for most complexions is to use black tea. So basically, you take an undershirt that fits you well in white and you brew very strong black tea and then you put the shirt in a basin and let it sit at that solution for about fifteen to thirty minutes depending on your complexion or until it matches your skin.
- Do wear very close fitting undershirts because you can move around and they're stretchy. The armholes are high which allows you to move freely.
- You want your undershirt to be long enough so it will never come untucked.
- What's really important is not to wear sleeveless undershirts.
- Definitely avoid crew neck shirts at all cost
- In terms of material, do wear cotton or cotton blend undershirts
- Undershirts are never meant to be worn on their own, undershirts are simply there to be worn underneath the dress shirt.
HOW TO BUY AN UNDERSHIRT:
- Ultimately, it comes down to two things; Comfort and looks.
- The best value I found in undershirts is from a company called Ribbed Tee.
- First of all, their shirts are long, they are really snuggly fitting, their seams are very flat and they are as comfortable as an undershirt can be.
To never miss any of our videos again, sign up here for free:
Want to see more videos? Subscribe to our channel!
FREE EBOOK: http://gentl.mn/237470h