Tour the M-C Dairy production factory and see how cheese and other dairy products are made in Etobicoke with Borys Wrzesnewskyj, MP, Toronto, Canada, 31 March 2016 (Борис Вжесневський, Депутат округу "Etobicoke Centre", Президент "M-C Dairy", Торонто, Канада, 31 березня 2016).
- 0:10 Pasteurization (Пастеризація) of milk
- 0:26 Tanks of various sizes for making Huslanka
- 0:37 Whey is agitated by hand. Cheese is cut, packed and sealed
- 0:52 Vats cooking milk
- 1:34 Extraordinary history of M-C Dairy (MаслоCоюз)
- 1:40 Difficult life in Halychyna for Ukrainians (e.g., poverty, hunger, despair) in the late 19th century, early 20th century. People emigrated to countries like Canada because they constantly worked but could not feed their families. Bias and pressure placed on Ukrainians (by Austro-Hungarian rulers). Students joined to found a cooperative movement. Dairy producers created "маслосоюз" (Maslosoyuz or "butter co-operative"). At first it was small, but grew. Farmers brought their milk to Maslosoyuz to make finished dairy products
- 2:43 Affiliates bloomed across Galicia, Ukraine (Austro-Hungarian Empire). In time, Maslosoyuz began exporting their products and became one of the largest dairy producers in Europe.
- 3:01 In 1931 Maslosoyuz exported over 800,000 kg of butter to Western Europe alone. So one can imagine the scale that was involved to accomplish this.
- 3:35 Maslosoyuz funded Ukrainian community entities including theatres, schools, libraries, Ukrainian language schools in villages and small cities
- 3:51 Pacification of Ukrainians in Eastern Galicia (Пацифікація у Східній Галичині, Пацифікація у Галичині 1930) in September–November 1930. Maslosoyuz offices and affiliates were bombed and destroyed. Markets closed in Europe, Hitler came and World War Two began. The history of Maslosoyuz in Ukraine came to an end with the Red Army and World War Two
- 4:35 After the War, Maslosoyuz directors moved to the west, first to Munich, Germany. Andrew Palij, Wasyl Trachuk, Ihor Ivanochko moved to Toronto, Canada and began a new Maslosoyuz dairy plant in 1955
- 4:55 Unfortunately diary products that where popular in Galicia, Ukraine failed to crack the English / Anglo-Saxon market, e.g., creamed cottage cheese, sheep's cheese, bryndza. Milk had to be acquired from other farmers, no access to fresh milk, no Ukrainian dairy farmers in the Toronto area.
- 6:00 In 1983 Future Bakery began to make syrnyky (сирники). The best sour cream in Toronto was made by MC Dairy. Production was limited but the quality of their products was phenomenal. Other dairy products on the market did not compare to MC Dairy. In 1991 MC Dairy was purchased by Future Bakery and a new factory was built.
- 7:09 MC Dairy follows three principles:
1. All products must be natural
2. All products are made with traditional methods. No products are made using automated machines. Manufacturing is not rushed or hurried.
3. All products must be of the highest quality.
MC Dairy processes 10 million litres of milk per year.
Remarks were prepared for the international conference "Cooperatives - past, present and future. Development and spirit in the community", Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnologies, Lviv, Ukraine, 4-5 April 2016. (Львівський національний університет ветеринарної медицини та біотехнологій імені Степана Ґжицького, Львів, Україна, 4-5 квітня 2016)
Future Bakery, cheesemaking, kefir, huslanka, maslanka, cream cheese, pressed cottage cheese, dairy products, bryndza, sheep's cheese, sour cream, сир, кефір, зернений сир, сметана, бриндза, масло, молочні продукти, маслосоюз
Video by UkeTube