Is your MakerBot smart extruder clicking or clogged?
The clog may reside in the nozzle or the thermal barrier tube.
• Crescent wrench
• Side or flush cutter
• Wire brush
• Fargo 3D Printing Nozzle: https://www.fargo3dprinting.com/products/mk8-0-4mm-nozzle/
1. Remove the door by opening it and pushing up on the plastic. The door should pop out. Set the door aside.
2. Now remove the filament guide tube.
If using the Replicator Mini: Go to the software and select “Load Filament”. Wait until the smart extruder is heated to 215°C.
3. On the right side of the smart extruder, press down on the spring lever. At the same time push down on the filament and then pull it out.
4. Make sure the nozzle is still heated to 215°C. If the “Load Filament” script has ended, press “Load Filament” again and wait for it to heat to 215°C.
5. Take a crescent wrench and start turning on the nozzle. If there is resistance, hold the smart extruder to the gantry system with your other hand.
6. Once loose, unscrew the nozzle a couple more times with the crescent wrench.
7. Now allow the nozzle to cool. NOZZLE MUST COOL FOR 5-10 MINUTES.
8. Once the smart extruder has cooled down, remove it from the gantry system and unscrew the nozzle (it should be safe to touch at this point).
9. After unscrewing the nozzle check to see if the nozzle is clogged. If there is debris in the nozzle, set it aside
10. Look down the barrel of the smart extruder. If you see debris then you have a thermal barrier clog.
If it's a nozzle clog, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1zhtr-sXY&index=3&list=PLqHrwjTmB8fT4hGoSRcktFemCTaseuiFm
Thermal Barrier Clog:
1. Replace the smart extruder back onto the gantry system.
2. Using the software, select “Load Filament”.
3. Wait for the smart extruder to reach 215°C.
4. Once it is heated, insert more filament.
5. While holding the smart extruder to the gantry system, push filament through the barrel. The clog should release.
6. Let the filament extrude for a couple of inches and then clip off the filament.
7. Push down on the spring-loaded lever while pushing down on the filament. Then pull the filament out.
8. Cool down the smart extruder.
9. Once cooled, remove smart extruder from the gantry system.
10. Clean threads of smart extruder with gantry system to ensure there is not filament left over.
11. Once cleaned, take a Fargo 3D Printing Nozzle and screw this by hand back into the smart extruder.
12. Take a crescent wrench and tighten the nozzle a little bit more until snug.
13. Place smart extruder back onto gantry system.
14. Go to software and select “Load Filament”.
15. After nozzle has reached 215°C, hold the smart extruder to the gantry system and tighten the nozzle with the crescent wrench.
16. When nozzle is secure load filament. Once you see filament coming through the nozzle, cancel the “Load Filament” script.
17. Replace door by sliding the bottom into the slot and pushing in the top piece which will snap into place.
Don't forget to follow Fargo 3D Printing for further updates.